A handheld air compressor is a type of air compressor that is specially made to be ultra-portable. These air compressors are often used to inflate car tires, air mattresses, footballs, and other common items.
The best handheld air compressor will have an accurate digital display, include several attachment nozzles, and will have photo flexible power options.
In this review, we’ll examine the top handheld air compressors. We will rate them based on PSI, CFM, HP, Design, and of course, portability.
After that, we will have a buyer’s guide that lays out all the details you need to know about handheld air compressors.
Built With Portability in Mind.
One of the best things about handheld air compressors is the fact that they are easily portable. You can take them anywhere without worrying about filling up too much space.
You can use different nozzles with these portable gadgets to inflate just about anything of any size. There is a variety of handheld air compressors available in the market. They have different features, functions, and dimensions, all of which make them unique in their way.
Features to consider in Good Handheld Air Compressors
Currently, modern handheld air compressors come with more features to stand out. It is why those new to this equipment can also feel confused at times. This is why it is necessary to go back to basics and see what makes a handheld air compressor and what are its must-haves.
The power cord needs to be long enough to reach tires when connected to the cigarette lighter in the car. At the same time, some of the best handheld air compressors come with additional AC wall cords, which allows these portable machines to be used inside the home as well.
The size of the handheld air compressor is essential. Since most of them sit in the car, drivers don’t want them to take up too much space in the trunk. If some new vehicles already come with a handheld air compressor, most of them simply need them to be purchased separately.
From a standard 35 PSI to 150 PSI (Pound per Square Inch), handheld air compressors react as they have different inflating strengths. Unless they are used for large objects such as inflatable swimming pools, most handheld air compressors should be reliable for occasional use.
When it comes to the best handheld air compressor, its selection process is essential. It is rare for a driver to upgrade an air compressor unless there’s something wrong with it. This is why the choice needs to be right from the start.
From compact options that are as small as a hand to more extensive options that need to be handheld, there are plenty of great options to consider. Apart from the distinct characteristics, it is also worth having a look at the product’s warranty.
Being an electrical product, it needs to be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. Most products are covered for periods between a year and 18 months. Products that come with shorter warranties might not fit into the best air compressors category.
At the same time, air compressors need to be easy to use. Gone are the days when these products were made with complicated controls. Drivers are now encouraged to spend as little time as possible inflating tires or checking tire pressure.
It is why some of the best air compressors on the market in the handheld category can inflate a tire from zero to 35 PSI (Pound per Square Inch) in just a few minutes.
However, this is not the only characteristic to look at. Since they are not too expensive, it is also worth having to look at the most versatile handheld air compressors as they will offer the most benefits in the long term.
6 Best Handheld Air Compressors
|Product name||Max PSI||Best Feature|
|Kensun AC/DC Rapid Performance||120 PSI||Compact size and top-notch functionality|
|Avid Power||120 PSI||Li-ion Battery|
|Fineed Portable||150 PSI||Two Way Charging|
|Jaco SmartPro Digital Inflation Pump||100 PSI||large LED light|
|Audew Portable Air Compressor Pump||100 PSI||Durable Construction|
|Air Hawk Pro||150 PSI||Auto Shut Down|
1. Kensun AC/DC Rapid Performance Portable Air Compressor
What makes the Kensun AC/DC a successful handheld compressor that people should buy is its compact size and top-notch functionality. This handheld compressor has a digital display integrated into it, which makes things extremely easy.
- FAST INFLATION: With Kensun's advanced engineering, the 120W solid metal motor provide superb power, which will make your tire inflation super-fast and easy.
- AC/DC FOR CAR AND HOME: Kensun’s unique AC/DC switching with 12V car cigarette light plug as well as 110V wall plug for home outlet makes this inflator more useful since you can use it anywhere.
- AUTO SHOT-OFF DIGITAL GAUGE: Unit shuts off automatically when preset pressure is reached. Large, bright, back-lit LCD display with unit conversion (PSI/Bar/KPA) makes this unit super easy and safe to operate.
You can read the pressure that the compressor is giving out and also set the ideal pressure that you will need to inflate your tire. The Kensun AC/DC also has an LED light, which is quite practical for people who might need it to inflate their tires in the dark.
Overall, this reliable handheld air compressor provides its users with versatile and robust solutions for inflating a variety of objects.
What We Like
- The air hose is woven, which adds extra durability
- Comes with a set of attachment nozzles
- A flashlight built-in for extra convenience in the dark
- Accurate digital display
- You can power this handheld air compressor with A/C socket and vehicles’ cigarette lighter present
What We Didn’t Like
- The only notable con of this air compressor is that it takes five inflation segments for it to work.
2. Avid Power Handheld Air Compressor, 20V Cordless Car Tire Pump
Simplicity is the strongest point of this air compressor. You will often come across handheld air compressors with great features that are over-complicated. This compressor has a robust design and is exceptionally reliable. You will not find a compressor more durable than Avid power handheld air compressor, mainly because of its robustness.
- Multi-purpose: Our cordless tire pump is ideal for inflating car, motorcycle and bicycle tires. It could also be used to inflate sports balls and inflatable pool toys. Note: not suitable for large truck tires.
- Setting the Automatic Stop Function: Preset the value you want and the air compressor will automatically shut off when the pressure is reached, so you don’t have to worry about over inflating or low tire pressure anymore. The accuracy of the indicated pressure is +/- 1 psi.
- Dual Power Supply: If the battery pack should run down while traveling, do not worry. We provide a 12V car power adapter that can be used as an alternate power source. The battery pack also has a USB port and a lighted indication of the remaining battery charge.
This compressor shuts down after every four minutes to recover itself, which is a great feature that prevents damage, You will also find the power cord of twelve feet to be of great help as it will quickly reach all of your tires without constant tugging and pulling.
What We Like
- The case design of this handheld air compressor is extremely durable
- You will get six nozzles with it
- LED lights are built-in
- There are just three simple operation controls
- PSI accuracy +/_
- This air compressor has a long power cord
What We Didn’t Like
- This handheld air compressor does not have a power connector for AC wall
- 【2 Ways Charging】 Fineed mini air inflator adopt 18650 Great A+ lithium battery cell, Certificated Up to CE,ROHS,FCC, to make sure this tire pump safety. It supports AC DC Adapter at home 110V & 12V Cigar Lighter. Fast charging, only takes 1.5 hours ; 10 feet car charger to pumping directly with your car tires. It will not let you down for anytime and anywhere.
- 【Portable and Convenience】 what a fantastic design for this portable air pump,Fast pumping air hose and normal air hose are included,you can use it randomly. Silver aluminum alloy case , smooth touch, make you feel more comfortable . Small and exquisite, this portable air pump is easy to carry, and it can also be used as a delicate gift.
- 【Fast Pumping to Save Your Flat Tires】 Fineed electric tire pump can fully inflate a flat car tire in 3-6 minutes with a fast pumping system, this electric tire pump easy to preset the desired pressure and test the tire pressure. automatically shut off when pressure is reached. only 4.5 minutes to top up 195/65R 15 car tire from 0 to 35 psi . the Maximum pressure up to 150Psi and accuracy is +/-0.5Psi.
You will understand them easily and start using this portable air compressor without any troubles. This compressor pump has a battery made out of lithium and a charging time of about 1.5 hours, which is not bad when you compare it with some other handheld compressors.
- 【2 Ways Charging】 Fineed mini air inflator adopt 18650 Great A+ lithium battery cell, Certificated Up to CE, ROHS, FCC, to make sure this tire pump safety. It supports AC DC Adapter at home 110V & 12V Cigar Lighter. Fast charging, only takes 1.5 hours; 10 feet car charger to pumping directly with your car tires. It will not let you down for any time and anywhere.
- Portable and Convenience: what a fantastic design for this portable air pump, Fast pumping air hose, and normal air hose is included, you can use it randomly. Silver aluminum alloy case, smooth touch, make you feel more comfortable. Small and exquisite, this portable air pump is easy to carry, and it can also be used as a delicate gift.
- Fast Pumping to Save Your Flat Tires: Fineed electric tire pump can fully inflate a flat car tire in 3-6 minutes with a fast pumping system, this electric tire pump easy to preset the desired pressure and test the tire pressure. Automatically shut off when pressure is reached. Only 4.5 minutes to top up 195/65R 15 car tire from 0 to 35 psi. the Maximum pressure up to 150Psi and accuracy is +/-0.5 PSI.
- Easy to use at Night: Fineed tire inflator with gauge LCD and LED lighting. 2 LED light can help you inflating and repairing in the dark or for walking at night.you can see everything clearly. With an LCD digital display, it’s easy to read day and night. Four pressure units for your selection: PSI、Bar、KPa、Kg/cm2 more unit than an ordinary pump.
- Multipurpose car tire inflator: multiple-function accessories for free, storage bag, 2 Air Hoses ，three adapter，suitable for balls, bicycles, motorcycles, cars (including SUV) and other inflatables but do not support truck. Essential items for travel during the May holiday, bring more fun to your life.
What We Like
- This air compressor pump has a maximum PSI pressure of 150
- It has a length of 180 mm
- You will get a 30-day money return guarantee
- Built-in LED lights and digital display
- Elegant and distinct design
- This air compressor has two-way charging (12 volts and 110 Volts)
What We Didn’t Like
- This compressor often becomes hot after five minutes.
The digital display and the large LED light of this handheld air compressor are reasons enough to get hold of them, especially if you are someone who lives or drives in remote areas where there is insufficient light. This air compressor also allows you to adjust its air pressure digitally according to your tire.
- Smart Pressure Technology: simply pre-set the built-in digital gauge to your target pressure (PSI) and it will automatically shut off when reached; inflates standard auto tires up to 45 PSI and bike tires up to 100 PSI
- Precision built-in digital air gauge features a bright LCD backlight display for night time use, measuring 0-100 PSI with precise accuracy of ±1 PSI; inflates air at an impressive rate of 25L/min
- Longer, heavy duty 24" air hose features a durable brass twist-connect chuck nozzle, ensuring a hands-free & secure seal to the tire valve stem; includes 2 pcs adapter set for sport balls, airbeds, and inflatables
This handheld air compressor is particularly easy to use because of its presets, which range from 45 PSI (Pound per Square Inch)up to 100 PSI (Pound per Square Inch). This air compressor has a power cord of 10 feet, which can easily reach the front and back tires of your cars.
- This compressor takes no more than a couple of minutes to inflate tires
- You can connect it to the cigarette lighter of your car
- There is a built-in LCD present
- The airflow ratio of this handheld air compressor is not the best
You will not find an air compressor pump that is more reliable than audew portable air compressor pump because Its affordability and durability are amazing when you think of the numerous convenient features this handheld air compressor gives us.
It also has a digital display feature that lets you check the pressure of your tires so that you can adjust it accordingly. This air compressor is especially handy for occasions when you have a flat tire. Its easy connectivity and quick airflow help you to fill your tire up in little to no time, allowing you to get on back on the road quickly.
What We Like
- The construction of this air pump is robust.
- You will get three extra nozzles with it
- Automatic protection for shutoffs
- Inflates a tire in a matter of minutes
What We Didn’t Like
- The cord of this handheld air compressor isn’t very long
6. Air Hawk Pro
Air Hawk Pro is a widely popular handheld air compressor that you probably have seen on television as well. What makes it so high in demand is the fact that it is cordless and has a terrific digital display for gauging pressure.
- Automatic Cordless Tire Inflator
- Digital LED Tire Gauge
- Inflates in 90 Seconds or Less!
The preset pressure features in this air compressor are perfect for filling up flat tires in a decent amount of time.
What We Like
- This compressor is remarkably lighter than several other handheld air compressors
- You can prevent overfilling by using the auto stop feature that this device has.
What We Didn’t Like
- It takes some time to fill up high-pressure tires
- It doesn’t have a long-lasting battery. You might need to change it frequently
What to Look For When Buying a Handheld Air Compressor?
Handheld air compressors come with different features and functions. Your convenience plays a significant factor in deciding which one of them works best for you.
Below are some prominent features that you should seek if you want to buy the perfect handheld air compressor.
Having a device that exactly knows your requirements is a Godsend. There are handheld inflators that require you to insert the PSI settings manually, and there are ones where the settings are built in the compressors.
You do have the option of changing your settings, but it is nice to have an automated compressor. Also, look for compressors that turn down automatically once they fill the tires up.
Overfilling tires are dangerous and can cause your tires to burst randomly, which is a risk that no one should take. Automatic handheld air compressors stop filling air according to the settings, which is a convenient option that also keeps you safe from potential random tire bursts.
Air compressor performance is heavily dependent on pump type. Take the features of the compressor in your consideration, if you want a handheld air compressor with longevity. Oil-less compressors are known to have a long life.
They do not require too much oil for lubricating their cylinders. Portability and lightweight are two features that people like about oil-less air compressors most. Also, they are low maintenance; however, they do not come cheap.
This is one of the most significant considerations that you should have before buying a handheld air compressor. In case you do not know what duty cycle is, allow me to elaborate.
The duty cycle refers to the total time for cooling down that an inflator takes. The reason why the importance of the duty cycle is so stressed is that it determines how long it will take before you could use it again.
So, for example, if you are filling up a tire for 10 minutes and if your handheld air compressor’s duty cycle is short, you would need to wait for a long period before you can move on to the next tire. These are the minor things that can cause big inconveniences, and it is important to keep them in mind before buying a handheld air compressor.
Note that not all handheld air compressors have the same inflating strengths. Some of them differ greatly. Some portable air compressors have 35 PSI (Pound per Square Inch), while others have 150 PSI (Pound per Square Inch).
The object you are looking to fill the air in is a big determinant on which PSI (Pound per Square Inch) control you should opt for. Handheld air compressor proves to be sufficient most of the time unless you have something enormous to fill the air in, like a huge inflatable swimming pool.
The power cord is something that people often do not pay too much attention to. However, they end up regretting their decision when they bring their handheld air compressor home.
Before buying an air compressor, you should always make sure that the power cord is long enough to reach your tires from where you connect it.
Look for handheld air compressors that come along with AC cords. These are the ones that are convenient and do not take too much of your time.
Short cords are not only inconvenient because it is difficult to make them reach in some cars, but they also tend to disconnect time and time again, which can make the whole process time consuming and cause damage to your air compressor.
Nowadays, you also have the option of getting a cordless handheld air compressor. These cords work with rechargeable batteries, which eliminate the hassle of connecting a cord with the lighter or AC of your car.
Although handheld air compressors with built-in batteries are slightly expensive, they offer a lot of conveniences. Changing batteries all the time is not only time consuming, but is costly as well.
However, with built-in batteries, you only need to recharge them every once in a while.
Some handheld air compressors are not compatible with specific power sources. Since tire inflators are all about convenience, power source matters a lot, you should go for a compressor that you can easily connect on the air conditioner or lighter of your car.
Digital displays let you read the air pressure and other essential stats. They also have presets and allow you to change those presets according to your tires’ requirements.
Not all handheld air compressors have digital displays. This is a must-have feature that makes operating these compressors extremely easy.
Basic Features Vs. Advanced
There are several things that you should consider before buying a compressor. There are times when people require compressors with bigger tanks for equipment requiring high flow. Tires, on the other hand, do not necessarily require compressors with bigger tanks.
Handheld air compressors prove to be more than sufficient for them. Handheld compressors are usually compact, with an extremely small tank size, making sure that they are easily portable and help you fill up air virtually at any place you want to.
Determine the Specifications
The first specification that you should think about before buying a handheld air compressor is its horsepower. Opting for a compressor with lesser horsepower would be a wise choice as compressors with high power are mostly useful in more significant capacities like factories and industrial projects.
You should also keep airflow in mind. Airflow helps you to determine how quickly the handheld air compressor will fill your tire up.
Best Feature of Each Handheld Air Compressor
Kensun AC/DC Rapid Performance Portable Air Compressor
This air compressor has dual power functions, which is why so many of its users consider it to be so versatile.
Auto VOX Automatic 12 V Portable Air Compressor
The +/_ PSI (Pound per Square Inch) accuracy that Auto VOX offers is unparalleled in the world of handheld air compressors. This PSI accuracy especially comes in handy when it comes to sensitive sporting equipment.
Find Portable Air Compressor Pump
The included battery in this handheld air compressor is truly what makes it one of the best out there.
Plus, the battery charges in a short time, which is a convenient feature that most compressors lack. You can inflate a normal, flattened car tire within 5 minutes without any interruptions.
Jaco SmarPro Digital Inflation Pump
The digital adjustments of air pressure that Jaco SmartPro offers are second to none. It has presets of 45 PSI (Pound per Square Inch) for cars and presets of 100 PSI (Pound per Square Inch) for bikes.
Audew Portable Air Compressor Pump
Audew is arguably one of the fastest handheld air compressors out there. This compressor is simpler in comparison to the other ones but is just as good when it comes to performing its basic function.
Air Hawk Pro
With unique preset features and a highly functional digital display, it is hard not to choose the Air Hawk pro despite its shortcomings with its battery life.
Handheld air compressors offer a lot of convenience to people. These multipurpose compressors come in handy for filling the air in car tires and a variety of other household items like inflatable pools, air mattresses, etc.
You can also use air compressors for sporting goods like footballs, basketballs, Bosu balls, etc.
Last update on 2021-08-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API