Ingersoll-Rand Inc. is a renowned manufacturer of some of the best impact tools in the industry. Ingersoll Rand impact tools are of the best quality and are easy to handle.
With regards to reliability, durability, and precision, Ingersoll Rand impact wrenches and drivers are truly exceptional. Even so, you still need to get the right Ingersoll impact tool model for your intended application. In this regard, you should consider such things as torque, drive size, power source, and ergonomics. Reviewed below are the top 11 Ingersoll Rand impact tools you should consider.
Best Ingersoll Rand Impact Tools in 2020
|Impact Tool Model||Torque Output||Weight||Drive Size|
|Ingersoll Rand ½-Inch 2235TiMAX Drive Air Impact Wrench||1,350 Foot-Pounds||4.63 Pounds||½ Inch|
|Ingersoll Rand 2235QTiMAX 1/2" Quiet Titanium Air Impact Wrench||1,300 Foot-Pounds||4.63 Pounds||½ Inch|
|Ingersoll Rand 231C, 1/2-Inch Super-Duty Air Impact Wrench||600 Foot-Pounds||5.8 Pounds||½ Inch|
|Ingersoll Rand W7150-K12 20v 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench||1,100 Foot-Pound||6.83 Pounds||½ Inch|
|Ingersoll Rand 2115TiMAX 3/8-Inch Impactool||300 Foot-Pounds||2.47 Pound||3/8 inch|
|Ingersoll Rand 2317G Edge Series Air Impactool and Ratchet Kit||500 Foot-Pounds||2.6 Pounds||3/8 inch|
|Ingersoll Rand 2145QiMax 3/4-Inch Composite, Quiet ImpactTool||1,350 Foot-Pounds||7.5 Pound||¾ Inch|
|Ingersoll-Rand 285B 1-Inch Heavy-Duty Impact Wrench||1,770 Foot-Pounds||24 Pounds||1 Inch|
|Ingersoll Rand W7152 1/2" 20V Cordless Impact Wrench||1,500 Foot-Pounds||6 Pounds||½ Inch|
|Ingersoll Rand 35MAX, ½-Inch Ultra-Compact Impactool||450 Foot-Pounds||2.4 Pounds||½ Inch|
|Ingersoll Rand 236G 1/2-Inch Edge Series Air Impactool||450 Foot-Pounds||5.29 Pounds||½ Inch|
1. Ingersoll Rand ½-Inch 2235TiMAX Drive Air Impact Wrench – Best Ingersoll Rand Impact Tool Overall
Delivering up to 1,350 foot-pounds of torque, the 2235TiMAX Drive Air Impact Wrench is the best-in-class impact tool.
Its torque output makes the tool ideal for the most demanding disassembly and assembly tasks. It features a finely tuned twin-hammer impact mechanism that is designed to deal with tough bolts and power through heavy-duty applications. Being one of the best air impact tools in the industry, the 2235TiMAX wrench features a compact and lightweight design.
The device is equipped with a four-position power regulator for enhanced control. It allows you to seamlessly select your preferred power mode, and adjust torque output to suit each individual task. You will come to like its one-handed forward/reverse mechanism, allowing you to change direction with a simple button push.
- Features a reinforced titanium hammer case, a composite housing, and a steel-wear plate for enhanced durability
- Has a high torque output of up to 1,350 foot-pounds that is suited for heavy-duty applications
- Comfortable and easy to use with a comfortable handle, integrated soundproofing, and a sensitive trigger
- Equipped with a 4-stage power control regulator
- Features a compact and lightweight design
- The 2235TiMAX Drive Air Impact Wrench needs to be lubricated regularly, which some users may find inconvenient.
2.Ingersoll Rand 2235QTiMAX 1/2″ Quiet Titanium Air Impact Wrench – Quiet Ingersoll Rand Impact Tool Option
The Ingersoll Rand 2235QTiMAX Titanium air impact wrench is one of the most powerful impact tools by this manufacturer. Delivering 1,300 foot-pounds, it is perfect for tightening and removing tough bolts.
The model is also suited for heavy-duty applications like suspension work and heavy equipment repair. It is powered by pressurized air and features a lightweight design.
The one-handed forward/reverse button, and four-position power regulator allow for better control. The adjustable settings allow you to fine-tune torque output and direction of the tool with ease.
- Features a twin-hammer mechanism for optimal durability and power
- Comes with rugged composite housing and hammer case
- Delivers 1,300 foot-pounds of torque, making it ideal for heavy-duty applications
- Comparatively lightweight to reduce fatigue
- Covered by a two-year manufacturer warranty
- The unmuffled versions of this model are comparatively louder in operation. When in reverse, the left change button may dig into the base of your thumb whenever you pull the trigger.
3. Ingersoll Rand 231C, 1/2-Inch Super-Duty Air Impact Wrench – Most Affordable Ingersoll Rand Impact Wrench
The 231C Air Impact Wrench produces up to 600 foot-pounds of bolt-bustling torque. As such, it is ideal for removing and installing stubborn bolts, lug nuts, and other hardy fasteners. The innovative twin-hammer mechanism offers efficient performance, with a rotational speed of up to 8,000 RPM.
First introduced over 25 years ago, the model has been continually refined for improved performance and reliability. Lightweight and easy to maintain, the impact wrench is a remarkable choice for vehicle hobbyists and professional mechanics alike.
- Features a twin-hammer mechanism delivering a maximum torque of 600 foot-pounds
- The adjustable power regulator provides easy control of torque output
- Comes in an ergonomic two-piece design that is easy to operate and maintain
- Delivered fully-lubricated, hence is ready to use right out of the box
- Offers a classic, and reliable construction
- Fitted with a Contoured handle for comfort and control
- If used regularly, the trigger may fail with time. In most cases, it gets stuck on and impossible to operate.
4. Ingersoll Rand W7150-K12 20v 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench – Best Battery-Powered Impact Wrench
The W7150 1/2″ 20V high-torque Impactool offers the convenience of a cordless electric impact wrench in a powerful, and reliable pack.
Although it is battery-powered, the model is really powerful, delivering up to 1,100 Foot-Pounds of torque.
It may be used to remove lug nuts of a semi-truck without a problem. The W7150 high-torque Impactool is probably the only impact wrench that offers pound-for-pound performance.
The tool is known to make quick work of tough jobs carried out by professional technicians every day.
- Weighs only 6.8 pounds, but delivers 1,100 Foot-Pounds of torque
- Features an ergonomic handle with soft-touch over-molded grip for optimized comfort and control
- Equipped with a high-efficiency rare earth magnet motor, an all-metal drive train, and a metal reinforced housing for extended durability
- Features Intelligent battery management system (BMS) for extended battery life and efficiency
- The tool comes with the required battery charger and a convenient carry case
- With time, this Ingersoll Rand impact wrench may develop trigger issues. If that happens, the tool may fail to slow down when you release the trigger.
5. Ingersoll Rand 2115TiMAX 3/8-Inch Impactool – Best Lightweight Ingersoll Rand Impact Wrench
With a maximum torque output of 300 Foot-Pounds, the 2115TiMAX 3/8-Inch Impactool is only suited for light-duty applications.
It may be used for automotive maintenance and light industrial tasks.
The twin-hammer mechanism used in this model has been perfected to include proprietary advanced metallurgy technology. It has a titanium hammer case that is lightweight and very durable. The model comes with the patented four-position power regulator and a feather-touch trigger for improved control.
An ergonomic redesign offers greater operational comfort. The improved grease fitting, on the other hand, makes for easy maintenance.
- Features a compact design, allowing for better access to tight spaces
- Offers the best-in-class performance at 300 ft-lb for a 2.5-pound tool
- Powered by the new 7-vane motor that is more powerful
- Features a lightweight, and durable titanium construction
- Fitted with a feather-touch trigger for better control
- Models that do not come with a muffler a comparatively louder. You may also find the directional thumb selector on this tool rather tight.
6. Ingersoll Rand 2317G Edge Series Air Impactool and Ratchet Kit – Best 3/8-Inch Drive Impact Wrench
Get the best value for your money with the Rand 2317G Edge Series Air Impactool and Ratchet Kit. Rated 500 ft-lb of max reverse torque, the Impactool is great for machinery repair and maintenance in a small garage or a farm. It is ideal for any light-duty task requiring quick removal of fasteners..
For about $160, you will get a 231G air impact wrench, a 170G air ratchet wrench, and a five-piece socket set. The impact wrench is powered by a 6-vane motor that is known to yield optimal power-to-weight ratio.
The ratchet wrench motor is comparatively weaker, producing a maximum torque of 55 Foot-Pounds. Both tools feature an ergonomic design for greater comfort. The set comes with a blow-molded storage case for easy storage and transportation.
- The impact wrench delivers exceptional torque accuracy as well as increased productivity and safety
- Both tools have an ergonomically contoured grip for improved comfort
- Offers great value for money
- Comes with a 5-piece socket set for enhanced versatility
- Backed by a one-year limited warranty
- The ratchet wrench is not an impact tool and has a very low torque output.
6. Ingersoll Rand 2145QiMax 3/4-Inch Composite, Quiet ImpactTool – Best Ingersoll Rand Air Impact Wrench
The 2145QiMax 3/4-Inch Composite, Quiet ImpactTool is powered by a 7 vane that is 16 percent more efficient than its predecessor.
Again, the tool features an easy-to-clean inlet screen means less downtime, better tool performance, and better-compressed air efficiency.
With the finely-tuned twin-hammer impact mechanism, this tool can deliver up to 1350-feet pound of torque. This makes it ideal for removing tough bolts, as well as heavy-duty applications like suspension work and heavy equipment repair.
Even when used on construction and agricultural equipment maintenance, the unit used less air. The patent Quiet Tool technology reduces sound levels.
- The 7.4-pound impact tool delivers 1350-feet pounds in maximum reverse torque
- Offers better productivity, and has been proven to be 16 percent more efficient
- Designed to withstand tough use in rugged environments, hence is backed by a two-year limited warranty
- Equipped with an easy-to-use an inlet screen to reduce the downtime, and improve tool performance
- Powered by a 7 Vane motor, which is more powerful
- Despite its tough construction, this impact wrench may not last for long under heavy use.
7. Ingersoll-Rand 285B 1-Inch Heavy-Duty Impact Wrench – Best Heavy-Duty Impact Wrench
Are year looking for the best heavy-duty impact wrench for heavy industrial applications? The Ingersoll-Rand 285B 1-Inch Impact Wrench will come in handy.
It is suited for such applications as the spring assembly, and disassembly, big rig truck maintenance, tractor pads, and farm equipment work.
At a 1,770 ft-lb torque output rating, this tool is one of the most powerful Ingersoll Rand impact tools you can get. It has been proven to deliver exceptional power, durability, and ease-of-use.
For improved control and precision, the model is equipped with an improved feather touch trigger. It is powered by a robust, six-vane motor with a maximum speed of 5,000 RPM.
- Powered by a reliable 6 vane motor, capable of producing up to 1,770 Foot-Pounds of torque
- Fitted with a feather-touch trigger for improved control and precision
- The ergonomic design features a swept-back side handle for superior balance
- Equipped with a three-position power regulator.
- The exhaust pipe is angled downwards to direct airflow away from the user
- At 24 pounds, this tool is too heavy to be used for extended periods at a time.
8.Ingersoll Rand W7152 1/2″ 20V Cordless Impact Wrench – Best Cordless Impact Wrench
Just as is the case with other Ingersoll Rand impact tools, the W7152 is the most powerful impact wrench in its class.
The model delivers up to 1,500 foot-pounds of nut-busting torque. It features the innovative IQv Intelligent Control System by the manufacturer.
This makes it possible for you to move from the maximum torque to ‘hand tight’ in no time. The IQv Power Control System includes 4 modes: MAX Power, Mid Power, Wrench Tight, and Hand Tight.
- Delivers an impressive power-to-weight ratio
- Features the IQv Power Control System that has 4 different power modes to suit different applications
- Fitted with a brushless motor for improved efficiency and durability
- Compact enough to fit into tight spaces
- Relatively quiet in operation
- The impact wrench requires you to buy the rechargeable battery pack separately, which will cost more money.
9.Ingersoll Rand 35MAX, ½-Inch Ultra-Compact Impactool -Compact Ingersoll Rand Wrench Option
The Ingersoll Rand 35MAX Ultra-Compact Impactool delivers superior power and durability in a compact package.
It measures just 4.6 inches long, giving the wrench a low-profile design. Such a design gives users the power and access they need, even on tasks that require maneuvering in tight spaces and around obstructions.
The twin-hammer design delivers 450 foot-pounds of maximum reverse torque, which presents an exceptional power-to-weight ratio. The one-handed forward/reverse push button, and three-position power regulator give you the control and versatility you need on different applications.
Thanks to its rugged design, the impact wrench stands up to heavy, harsh usage.
- Features a twin hammer design and composite housing construction
- Fitted with convenient reverse/forward push button with a 3-mode power regulator
- Has an ultra-compact, low-profile design, weighing just 2.4 pounds for easier access
- The 3-position power regulator allows for easy adjustment of the torque output
- Comes with a rugged, and reliable design that is built for harsh working environments
- You may find the trigger on this model to be comparatively less sensitive
10. Ingersoll Rand 236G 1/2-Inch Edge Series Air Impactool – Best 1/2″ Ingersoll Rand Impact Tool
The Ingersoll Rand 236G Edge Series Air Impactool delivers an impressive 1,200 blows per minute at a torque output of 450 Foot-Pounds. The 1/2-Inch impact wrench is ideal for use in most auto shop tasks. It boasts of a durable single hammer impact.
You will also like its easy-to-service, two-piece construction. The tool is great for auto repairs, tire work, and bench work applications as well. The 236G air impact wrench is exceptionally rugged, compact, and lightweight.
Some of its exceptional capabilities include a variable speed trigger, a single impact mechanism and a handle exhaust for a comfortable grip.
- Features a conveniently-positioned variable speed trigger
- Applies a durable single hammer impact mechanism
- Comes with an ergonomic grip, and an intuitive forward/reverse power regulator
- Fitted with a handle exhaust for improved safety
- Powered by a powerful 6-vane motor
- As compared to some of the leading models in its class, the 236G is comparatively heavier.
Things You Need to Know Before Choosing Ingersoll Rand Impact Tools
Though commonly used to loosen lug nuts, impact tools are much more versatile in application.
The commonest of impact tools are impact wrenches. In their functioning, impact wrenches apply a sudden, intense twisting motion to loosen tight lug nuts.
Such a tool will make it easier for you to loosen or tighten different types and sizes of nuts.
However, there are different types, makes, and models of impact tools to choose from. While shopping for the right Ingersoll Rand Impact tool, these are some of the important considerations you need to make:
Impact Wrench or Impact Driver?
Impact tools are some of the most versatile wrenching tools, but in most cases you will need either of them. Though similar in appearance and operation, impact wrenches differ from Impact drivers in a number of ways. So, how exactly do impact wrenches differ from Impact drivers?
Impact wrenches are often used to loosen or tighten lug nuts. These tools may also be used to remove fasteners, bolts, and screws as well. What sets impact wrenches apart from impact drivers is the amount of power and driving force they exert.
Impact wrenches are comparatively more powerful than impact drivers, hence suited for the more demanding professional applications. Wrenches are designed to deliver more rotational torque, as compared to drivers.
These tools are often used in metalworking industries or assembly lines. Impact wrenches are also bulkier, and costlier to buy. Most of the leading impact wrench models in the industry use a 12-inch square drive.
Impact drivers are standard tools in most workshops. Ingersoll Rand impact drivers are similarly versatile and quite efficient at what they do. They are similar to conventional drills in appearance but are faster, and more powerful.
However, impact drills are not as powerful as the wrenches. A conventional impact drill will produce about 2,200 in-lbs. of torque. Most of the leading impact drivers come with a 1/4-inch hex drive. This makes them suited for driving screws.
Torque is one of the important considerations you need to make while choosing for the best Ingersoll impact wrench. For applications that demand more torque, such as loosening a rusted nut, you will need a more powerful impact wrench.
As a guide, a 1000-foot pound model will come in handy. For the more general applications, a 500-foot pound model will suffice.
Impact drivers and wrenches can be classified into three main categories depending on their source of power. The best Ingersoll Rand impact tool models use different power sources, as explained below:
Air Impact Wrenches
These are impact tools that run on compressed air. These are known to be more powerful and reliable as compared to the other types of impact tools. In addition to delivering steady torque and RPM, air impact drivers and wrenches are also more durable.
Most professionals prefer air impact tools as they are lightweight, yet very powerful. This alone makes it easy to handle on any project. In addition to powering the unit, the compressed air has a cooling effect on the impact tool in operation. As such, they are known to burn out less often.
Although Ingersoll Rand air impact wrenches are comparatively more affordable, they will require you to buy a large air compressor as well. This also makes the tools less portable as compared to wireless and corded air impact wrenches.
Cordless Impact Wrenches
These are essentially electric hand tools. Rather than connecting to the mains electricity, cordless impact wrenches run on rechargeable batteries.
They may bulkier than the other impact tool types, but are very portable.
As compared to air impact tools, Ingersoll Rand cordless impact tools are less powerful. However, they tend to deliver a consistent industry-specific level of performance throughout their lifetime. Since they are electric, these units are known to heat up and may burn out if not taken care of.
Electric/Corded Impact Wrenches
These are also electric impact tools. As opposed to the cordless models, corded Ingersoll Rand impact tools come with a cord that plugs into the mains electricity. Such models are known to be fairly powerful and consistent in performance. As compared to the cordless impact tools, corded models are lighter as they do not have a battery. However, their range is limited by the length of their power cords.
Most impact wrenches come with a 1/2” drive, while most impact driver models come with a ¼” drive as standard. You may also get a 3/8” impact tool, which often comes in smaller packages. The 3/8” impact tools are less powerful as compared to the ½” drive tools. For enhanced versatility, it is advisable to go for the models that allow you to alter the drive size.
Torque Adjustment Settings
The leading Ingersoll Rand impact tools are equipped with adjustable torque settings.This allows you to alter the power output of the device depending on the project at hand. This feature has been proven to reduce the risk of snapping or over-tightening bolts and nuts.
The high-end air impact tools are fitted with adjustable dials that allow you to change the torque to your preferred output. In most cases, such impact wrenches feature three main settings: low, medium, and high torque settings.
Other models are designed to alter the torque output increasingly as you pull down on the trigger. These are meant for the more experienced users as you need steady hands to control them with utmost precision.
Impact wrenches and drivers come in different shapes and designs. Basically, you need to choose a model that fits in the hands, features a comfortable grip, and is well balanced. This will help reduce the strain and fatigue associated with the operation of such tools.
With regards to form, these hand tools come in three main design options: Pistol grip, Angle impact tools, and inline impact wrenches. Each of these impact tool grip options has a set of benefits and downsides to offer, as explained below:
Inline Impact/ Palm Grip Impact Wrenches
Most impact/palm-grip impact wrench models look like oversized screwdrivers while others resemble a power saw that does not have a blade. Larger inline impact wrenches have a D-shaped grip that holds the trigger. Other models are fitted with a T-shaped grip instead.
The smaller palm-grip models, the ones with smaller shafts of between ¼ and 3/8 inches, are designed to be held at the body. This makes them only suited for tightening and loosening small lug nuts in tight spaces.
If this is your preferred grip type, you should go for the models that have a butterfly throttle for enhanced comfort and control. A tool that features a low profile will be easier to control in smaller, and cramped spaces.
Pistol Grip Impact Tools
These resemble most power tools in appearance and often work in a point-and-shoot mode of operation. With this type of impact wrenches, you need to place one hand on the grip to operate the trigger. The other hand should be used to aim the socket while balancing the tool. In this case, it is advisable to go for the models that feature soft-grip handles in a balanced, and ergonomic body design.
Angle Impact Wrenches
These are also referred to as right-angle impact wrenches. In their design, these tools feature an inline handle, with the drive bent at an angle similar to that of an oscillating multi-tool. Therefore, the drive-in these impact tools rotate at an axis that is 90 degrees from the rest of the tool.
Such a design minimizes the force of reactionary torque, which reduces the risk of you getting scraped knuckles. Angle impact wrenches are primarily designed for close quarter access sort of applications. It is advisable to get one that has an integrated headcover to protect the drive whenever the tool is used in cramped spaces.
Add On: Ingersoll Rand Impact Socket Set
The various Ingersoll Rand Impact Socket sets are meant to improve the versatility of impact tools. They x.ccomprise of 4 to 86 socket sizes to suit an array of applications.
Exclusively designed for use with Ingersoll impact tools, all the 6-pt Impact sockets by this manufacturer are made of top-quality materials. This ensures that you get the very best performance, and extended durability with each socket.
Ranging from plumbing, and construction to automotive repair, Ingersoll Rand socket sets present you with impact grade sockets for everyday use. In most cases, they are made of high-strength Chrome-molybdenum steel and feature an electro-phosphate finish. All the socket sets are backed by a lifetime warranty by the manufacturer as proof of quality.
Ingersoll Rand is one of the leading manufacturers of impact tools in the industry. Over the years, they have produced some of the best impact wrenches you can get. Their products meet industry quality and safety standards and are known to deliver remarkable performance levels.
The 11 Ingersoll Rand impact wrench models reviewed above are great, but you need to get one that is suited for the intended application. In this regard, you should consider the drive size, torque, size, and weight, as well as ergonomics. Nonetheless, this guide will make it easier for you to choose the best Ingersoll Rand impact wrench.