The SFR2190 is NuMax’s flagship nailer is a versatile multi-purpose nailer that can be used for everything from decking to sheathing.
The NuMax SFR2190 represents a revolution in entry-level nail guns. It offers remarkable performance at a price that is a small fraction of pro models.
It also integrates some simple yet surprising features that only increase its overall value as a tool. What follows is our team’s hands-on review of the NuMax SFR 2190, as well as a few pointers on what to look for in choosing a new nail gun.
In this day and age, pneumatic nail guns have made it easier than ever to finish that home refinishing project. Whether it’s a simple refinishing job or finally framing out the basement, nailers make it much easier.
However, professional air nail guns come at a hefty price. Therefore, you must look carefully before deciding on your next air gun. In this guide, we will look at the top features, how does it compare to others, pros, cons, and FAQs.
Don’t be fooled by the fact that it is marketed as a framing nailer. This thing can do far more than just framing.
As with all NuMax tools, the biggest draw is the price. The SFR2190 is a fraction of the cost of some competing models.
And yet, it seems to perform just as well as some of them. Specifically, those made by Freeman, Bostitch, and Metabo.
This cost-effective blend of speed and power is what makes home projects a success. Some of the more attractive features include a partial magnesium construction, offering an incredible strength to weight ratio.
Depth adjustment is a piece of cake … all you need to do is rotate the spindle on the front side of the nailer. Because some nailers require dedicated tools to adjust the depth, this is an unexpected bonus.
- Fully adjustable air exhaust
- Durable magnesium construction
- Bump fire ready
- Adjustable firing depth
- Slip-Resistant no-mar tip
- Ergonomic grip
- Dry fire protection mechanism
- Air & dust filtration cap
- Works with both 21 and 22-degree nails
- 1 year limited warranty
What We Like
- One of the best value pneumatic nailers on the market
- Magnesium construction makes it very light
- Great entry-level framing nailer
- 1-year limited warranty
What We Dislike
- Doesn’t come with a protective storage case
- None of the fancy features like laser guides
NuMax SFR2190 Pneumatic 21 Degree 3-1/2" Full Round Head Framing Nailer Ergonomic and Lightweight Nail Gun with Tool-Free Depth Adjust and No Mar Tip
5 used from $88.69
- Nailed It: This 21 degree pneumatic framing nailer features a lightweight and durable magnesium body, ergonomic secure handle, and interchangeable trigger for quick fire or single shot function. It's ideal for professional construction contractors and home DIY projects.
- Versatile and Powerful: The framing nailer features depth adjustment and a no mar tip, making it adaptable for different working surfaces. It's perfect for framing, and it can also be used to install subfloors, roof decking, wood fencing, and sheathing.Minimum Recommended Air Delivery SCFM @ 90PSI:2.4
- The Right Tool for the Job: We're committed to providing outstanding value, top tier customer service and long lasting, high quality products. We make nailers and staplers for every purpose, from roofing to siding to flooring and everything in between.
- Quality and Durability: We manufacture tools with the most durable materials under strict quality control guidelines, suitable for professional contractors and do-it-yourselfers alike. Our tools are sold, distributed, serviced, and warrantied in the USA.
- Tough and Dependable: We make an array of durable construction tools and accessories, including staplers and nailers for siding, flooring, framing, finish, and roofing. Compare our products to similar items by Makita, Hitachi, Bostitch, Senco, Paslode, and Dewalt.
How Does it Compare To Others?
As an entry-level framing nailer, the SFR2190 is a great option. The price also makes it a good candidate for a backup nailer, or a secondary nailer for smaller projects and limited use.
There is no question that this is the best value framing nailer that we could find. However, there is also no question that top-of-the-line nailers are going to perform better.
The SFR2190 does jam up every now and then, but usually only when the last few nails are going through. If you are only using this nailer intermittently then you probably aren’t going to notice that much.
The adjustability is a big selling point here, both in terms of blowout spout and firing depth.
Some users have reported issues with maintaining a constant firing depth over time, but from what we could tell this was most likely due to issues with the compressor itself.
About NuMax Tools Brand
Anyone who is in the market for a durable and dependable multi-purpose nailer should look no further. A relatively new tool brand, NuMax has emerged as direct competition to the popular Dewalt brand.
It seems like Dewalt has dominated the market for years with other brands like Boscht nipping at their heels.
Today, NuMax has a line of air guns, nailers, compressors, and other tools offered at prices that are less than half of top brands like Makita. Overall, NuMax’s tools outperform Bosch, but Bosch certainly has wider product selection.
While NuMax is available at home improvement stores, their nailers and compressors are also available online and are usually far less expensive.
Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)
What kind of air compressor is recommended for use with the SFR2190?
Because this nailer has an operating range of 70-115 PSI, there are a large number of air compressors that would be appropriate.
Almost all portable compressors are capable of breaking 70 PSI, so you shouldn’t have any issues. On the other hand, the kind of work you’re doing will change things.
If you have a lot of nailing to do and are trying to move fast, your compressor may not keep up. Usually, a 5 or 6-gallon pancake compressor is more than powerful enough to keep the nailer fully powered for continuous operation.
Does The SFR2190 work with any brand of nails?
Yes, the SFR 2190 is compatible with all brands of nails as long as they are either 21 or 22 degrees and plastic collated.
The nail length can be between 2” and 3 ½” long. It is also important to note that the SFR2190n is a full-round head nailer as opposed to a clipped head nailer.
Is this a good nailer for framing with 2×4’s?
This is a great little nailer for basic 2×4 framing. From sheds to refinishing projects, the SFR2190 is capable of putting nails as long as 3 ½” through a 2×4 with plenty of “bite.”
What is the benefit of getting a 21-degree nailer instead of a straight framing nailer?
Pneumatic framing nailers that are designed to fire angled nail clips have a few advantages over straight nailers. The most obvious to most people is that it makes it easier to get nails into tight spots.
The simple size and shape of framing nailers mean that it is not always possible to get a working angle. 21-degree nailers also experience less jamming and less overall stress on the nailer body.